Pleasant Hill Baptist Church
The Beginning ~ 1877 - 1907: The first church building located on South Clayton Street was indeed a small wooden building with very few amenities. However, it stood proudly and allowed God to do a mighty work at its pioneering location for some 30 years.
Yesterday ~ 1907 - 1987: Around 1907, Pleasant Hill Baptist Church was moved from Clayton Street to 176 Church Street. Some of the pastors who served during these early years were: Pastor L.T. Jones, Pastor H. A. Woodson (1914), Pastor Powell (1915-1916), Pastor J. W. Williams (1916-1917), Pastors Jesse Collins and T. T. Gholston (1918), and Pastors Allen and B. L. Jackson (1920). Pastor L. L. Harris would assume pastoral duties in 1922 and serve gracefully until 1940 or 1941; Pastor John Joshua Grogan assumed the pastorate of Pleasant Hill Baptist Church and remained for 47 years. Pastor Grogan’s vision for the church and community is still evident today, for he believed that while he taught God’s principles, the church should simultaneously be busy practicing God’s principles throughout the church and community. During these early years, Pleasant Hill was not only a place for worship in the community, but functioned during the week as a schoolhouse in collaboration with the 3-room facility of Renwick High (which later became Hooper-Renwick) School. Pleasant Hill allowed Renwick High School to hold classes in its building as early as 1945; and, also PHBC hosted functions such as baccalaureates and graduations as well as other school-related activities that assisted in the education of the black community in Gwinnett County. Pleasant Hill additionally served as a community-gathering place. During the 1950’s, wear and tear took a toll on the facility. Under the leadership of Pastor Grogan, the church was reconstructed while worship services were held at neighboring churches. The reconstructive brick edifice still stands today. By the 1980’s, Pastor Grogan had stepped-up his travel from southwest Atlanta to Lawrenceville because of increased spiritual needs in the county. Failing health took a toll on Pastor Grogan. As a result of these circumstances, in December of 1987, along with his endorsement and blessing, Pastor Grogan retired and passed on the mantel of leadership to our present shepherd, Dr. Ronald Daniel Dunnigan. It is fitting to note that he is the great nephew of Rev. L. T. Jones (brother to his maternal grandmother). He officially became Pastor of the church on March 13, 1988.